Don't get me wrong I like to add widgets to my site too. They really make your website stand out, and they come in all shapes, sizes and colors. However, if you have too many on your website it can slow your website down, also it can make it cluttered. It is easy to get addicted to adding them to your site, because I have had to talk myself out of putting up a couple more. It's nothing wrong with adding them but just make sure that they are aiding your site and not crippling it. Here are a few tips on how to pick the right ones for your site:
- Make sure the widget has something to do with your site or it's topic. If it doesn't than you may want to reconsider adding it.
- Make sure it is the right size too. You wouldn't want it to be too big or too small for your website. Test out the different sizes to make sure you are choosing the right size.
- Make sure you choose the right color for your website. If your website is green you want to reconsider the color purple for your widget.
- Make sure the widget is an asset for your website and not a hindrance. What are the benefits of having this widget on your website?
- Decide where you will be adding the widget. Will it be on your sidebar or on a particular page on your website?
- Decide what kind of widget will it be. Will it be one that moves or stands still or is a popup? This is just to make sure you don't have too much going on your website.
- Do you really need another widget? Or you just adding it too feed your addiction of widgets?